Top 10 Moving Tips
At its best, moving is highly stressful. While it won’t eliminate all of the stress, a good plan and careful packing will help reduce it. At A Bridge Forward, our teams are experienced in helping clients navigate the complexities of a move. Here are our 10 top tips for a successful move:
1. Set a moving date and create a plan: To set yourself up for a successful move, begin with a written plan and timeline. Start with your move date and work backwards. Make sure to include time for clearing out and decluttering before you start to pack. Call the movers early to schedule your date. During busy moving seasons, the moving companies book up quickly.
2. Talk to at least 3 movers to obtain moving estimates. You will need to provide a complete list of the items you will be moving and an estimated number of boxes. Be sure to ask about their charges for travel time to and from your home. Also, it’s important to ask about and understand insurance coverage. In some cases, we recommend that clients purchase additional insurance for their belongings.
3. Declutter, declutter, declutter. Moving is expensive and everything you move adds to the cost. The best time to get rid of things you do not use is now. Sort through and donate books, extra dishes and kitchen items, out-of-date clothing and shoes, unloved household décor, excess linens/towels and surplus household maintenance/cleaning products. Start early and tackle one area of the house at a time.
4. Obtain plenty of packing boxes, wrapping paper and bubble wrap. You can find online calculators that estimate how many boxes you will need. It is almost certain that you will need more boxes than you expect, especially small boxes. Most packing material suppliers will take back anything that you don’t use. Most movers supply wardrobe boxes for your hanging clothes which means they can be moved on their hanger. Be sure ask if there is a charge for this service.
5. Use good quality materials and mark boxes clearly, including “Fragile, Do Not Stack” on boxes with especially fragile items. All boxes must have lids and be taped shut.
6. Start packing early – Depending on your timeline, begin by packing 3 to 4 boxes a day. Packing takes more time than many people anticipate so getting head start should help you avoid a last-minute crunch.
7. Have a plan for your valuables and important papers. During the move, it is best if they are in a safety deposit box or with a trusted relative or friend for safe keeping.
8. Plan ahead for items you will need for the first couple of days in your new home. Transport anything you need ready access to with you in your car including prescriptions.
9. Have everything packed including artwork, lamps and
10. bedding so that you are 100% ready when the movers arrive. They will work quickly and may have questions so you won’t have time to pack last minute things once they are on site.
11. Know where everything is going to be placed in your new home ahead of time. A floor plan helps the movers know where to place the furniture, saving them time and you money.
Need help? Contact a senior move manager. Experienced senior move managers have the expertise to help clients prepare for a home transition as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Bonded * Insured* Member National Association of Senior Move Managers